“Users are authenticated biometrically before they can access SAP systems via shared access kiosks. We no longer have to worry about password fraud from these users at all.“ Mapula Mano, SAP Specialist: Plant Maintenance, Sales & Distribution. Transnet SOC Ltd
Country: South Africa | Industry: Logistics | Employees: 55,500 | Website: www.transnet.net
Transnet is the largest and most crucial part of the freight logistics chain that delivers goods to each and every South African. Every day Transnet delivers thousands of tons of goods around South Africa, through its pipelines and both to and from its ports. It moves that cargo on to ships for export while it unloads goods from overseas. Transnet is fully owned by the South African government but operates as a corporate entity aimed at both supporting and contributing to the country’s freight logistics network. It aims at developing South African industry, reducing the cost of doing business, while at the same time operating efficiently and profitably.
Transnet Engineering is a division of Transnet and has to supply the company. SAP Enterprise asset management (EAM) is the optimal lifecycle management of the physical assets of an organization. It covers subjects including the design, construction, commissioning, operations, maintenance and decommissioning/replacement of plant, equipment and facilities. Owning 7 Factories, 150 Depots with 14,500 employees Transnet Engineering annually manage over 11,000 wagons, 150 locomotives, 500 coaches and 52,000 wheels in their asset management system. The major objective for the improvement are the challenges of securing SAP Plant Maintenance, Production Planning & shop-floor processes in diverse locations using shared devices:
- Securing access to scheduling, planning, BOM, maintenance
- Ensuring secure access to SAP data at shared kiosks via biometrics
- Improve efficiency, lower downtime and maintenance costs
- Enable users with limited computer literacy or SAP proficiency to interact with systems easily
- Minimize training requirements
- Accommodate multi-lingual needs
- Enforce biometric authentication of all SAP data access
- Lower Maintenance costs – keep plants & depots running more efficiently
Fujitsu PalmSecure and the bioLock security software was implemented within shared use kiosk by authorized partner Linx/AS Africa.